Search This Blog

Saturday 29 November 2014

Useful blog - please take the time

I came across this list of teaching blogs when looking on the internet and took a look at them. The depth of knowledge and intellect on display in them is quite awe inspiring; that teachers, who we know to be some of the busiest people can find the time to produce such polished works is amazing.

I took a look at the blogs, and was particularly taken by dontwasteyourtime
David Hopkins - a picture from his about me profile

This blog, written by David Hopkins, an e-learning consultant at Warwick University fully embraces much of what the internet has to offer in terms of social media. Mr Hopkins gives his readers a total of 20 different links to various sites that allow him to have a presence on the internet. Many of these I had not heard of before. About me, academia.edu, klout and future learn were some that were new to me.

Future learn offers free online courses and if we are so minded we can learn of many things, including the "methods & scientific underpinning of forensic science, from crime scene investigation to reporting evidential value within a case" and "how to achieve consistent and excellent results in all aspects of dental photography."

It is clear that the author is a technophile, and from navigating around his blog I have learnt much about what is available to teachers who are able to access technology and are inclined to use it. He provides his own reviews of a plethora of tools, gadgets and apps that are available. Often, these tools are not specifically for teachers, but the advantages that they confer (e.g. time-saving, organisation, engagement) are very useful for teachers.

In the short time that I've been looking at his blog I've learnt about tools I had no knowledge of, as well as more about tools I thought I understood. His style of writing is open and engaging, and it's clear that he has a passion for his subject.   

No comments:

Post a Comment